A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Bench Press

Out in the garage with the door open. The outside temperature is 10 degC. First we put up Christmas lights then, my weights started to talk to me and I had to bend the bar. I've been having some issues lately with exertion induced headaches. I had one after Deadlifts the other day. Then I had one after Squats. I also had another one after fooling around with my wife. I took things slow today but I can still feel a dull ache in the back of my head. The following is an article from WebMD that explains things perfectly.

Headache Triggers and Exercise

When you exercise, or exert yourself physically, the muscles of the head, neck, and scalp need more blood to circulate. This causes the blood vessels to dilate, which can lead to a condition called exertional headaches.

Headaches that most frequently occur due to exercise or over-exertion include jogger's headache and orgasmic headache (sex headache). While these may occur in isolation, they are most common in people who have an inherited susceptibility to migraine (one or both parents have migraines).

It has been found that most exertional headaches are benign and respond to usual headache treatments. It's very important, though, not to assume that your headaches, especially new exertional headaches, are caused by exercise. In order to rule out other medical causes -- some of which can be life-threatening -- a doctor needs to evaluate your headaches.

Some exertional headaches are particularly responsive to Indocin (indomethacin), an anti-inflammatory drug available with a doctor's prescription, taken 30 to 60 minutes before exercise.

Further reading I found that the more you train and try to ignore exercise induced headaches the more sensitive you will become to future headaches. The only way to rid yourself of this problem is simply to take a break. The problem I have with this is, I don't want to take a break. That is why I trained Bench Press in the garage today.

Bench Press - 135lbs/12 reps, 185lbs/12 reps, 225lbs/12 reps, 2 sets/12 reps/225lbs+light bands, 245lbs/12 reps, 315lbs/4 reps.

Right now my head feels ok but I can still tell I need to take a break. Damn!


Snowdaddy

No comments: