A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve

Today is New Year's Eve and a time to reflect on what happened in 2014 and what my goals and aspirations or for 2015. 2014 was a crazy busy year but first let me recap what my goals were last year this time.

Here are a few goals for 2014.
  • With the current change to the Military annual PT test I do not have to stop Powerlifting to pass. My training this year will go uninterrupted. Hopefully.
  • I have included support work with the Doug Hepburn "B" routine. It is really working well. I will maintain this style of training and try to make a training video to explain my training program.
  • The 2014 OptiMYz meet was cancelled. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. OptiMYz wanted to go in the Crossfit direction.
  • The 2014 Nationals is in Ontario and I am planning on attending. I have some big goals for this meet. So far so good.
  • I found out late 2013 that I am promoted. This includes a posting. Currently we understand we are going to Ottawa this summer. This will make my year completely uncharted.
I am not going to make too many plans for this year as I don't really know what is going to happen. I will continue to train hard and smart.

Here is what actually happened.

  • The beginning of the year was uneventful. My training for Nationals was the most disciplined for any meet I have ever done. The results speak for themselves.
Squat - 205/212.5/220kg
Bench Press - 160/165/(miss)167.5kg
Deadlift - 257.5/272.5kg/pass
Total 657.5kg
  • After Nationals powerlifting got put on the back burner and I got ready for my promotion and the posting. We thought we were going to Ottawa but it turns out we came back to Winnipeg. More importantly 435 Sqn. Back to where it all began. Life is funny. Good, but funny. My family and I are extremely pleased to be back in Winnipeg. I guess this place is as much home as any place for us.
  • Being back in Winnipeg means I am back to the 17 Wing Strength Club, which I am the founder and now the Vice President. It's a great club and it gives me (and it's members) a hard core place to bend bars. Lots of familiar and friendly faces welcomed me back.
  • I am also back in touch with my coach and friend Brock Haywood and his lovely wife Susan. These two outstanding people are the reason I started powerlifting. It does my heart good to call Brock and Susan my friends.
  • Since being back I have judged at two meets and was the co-meet director for the 17 Wing meet. Lots of work but I am glad to be a part of it.
  • The move meant I had to give up my amazing home gym. We have an attached garage on our new home but it isn't insulated or heated. I worked out there until the winter came. Now it is just too cold. This next summer priority is to get the garage ready for next winter and organize my new garage gym.
  • First and foremost this year the best thing that happened was my relationship with my wife. I said in 2013/2014 that the longer my wife and I are together the better we get. I was right with that statement. Again this year we are more in love than ever before. Thank you Kathy for being with me. I Love You.
My goals for 2015 go something like this.
  • With regards to powerlifting I don't have many goals. Just to stay healthy and injury free. I plan on competing at the 2015 17 Wing meet just to get an equipped total for the 2016 Nationals. That is my long term goal. I plan on doing classic, equipped, and bench only equipped at the 2016 Nationals in Moose Jaw.
  • My focus will be on improving the 17 Wing Strength club and bringing powerlifting to the Military as a recognized sport.
  • Work is much busier here than in Greenwood so it takes up a lot of my thought. I feel I can do some real good at 435 Sqn and I plan on bringing my special kind of leadership and morale to the unit.
  • The most important goal for my lifting is to get the garage insulated, heated and organized. If I don't have a gym at my finger tips my training for the 2016 Nationals will suffer and my performance will be lacking. I need my church.
I don't have many goals for 2015. Probably better that way. Time to enjoy myself for a little while.

Snowdaddy

No comments: