A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Squats

Just when I think I know it all I learn something else.

Warm Up
Stationary Bike - 5 minutes.
Leg Swings and Stretching.
Squats - 135lbs/6 reps, 135lbs/6 reps.

Knee is now bothering me so time to try out foam rolling my IT band.

Squats - 225lbs/6 reps, 315lbs/4 reps. Much Better.

Power Phase
working on speed and form
Squats (with belt) - 365lbs/1 rep, 7 sets/1 rep/385lbs.

Pump Phase
Squats (no belt) - 2 sets/3 reps/315lbs.

Let me explain what I began this post with. I have noticed that bigger lifters squat with a wide grip. Lately I have had problems with leaning over my toes and "good morning" the end to the squat. With a wide grip on the bar it allowed me to sit back and keep my chest up by allowing the bar to sit slightly lower on my back. This in turn allowed me to drive more with my hips and glutes. Interestingly enough, the 6th and 7th sets were easier than the 2nd and 3rd. Now back to the drawing board.

Snowdaddy

No comments: