A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Sunday, May 01, 2011

I'm Done, I'm Done, I'M DONE!!!

I'm done with gear. A little while back I decided to go with out gear in the deadlift. Tonight I tried to start my pre competition training with what I thought was a manageable weight for squats in full gear, 495lbs. I've squatted this weight in the past for 3 reps several times so, 8 singles should be no problem. WRONG! The left leg of my suit kept rolling up and I had a tough time making depth. The idea of the gear is to assist the lifter and I've been finding that if offers too many variables to each lift. It's also a pain to put on. I'd like to go to a meet and show how strong "I" am and not how well I can use my gear. I seem to recall a statement several years back when I said the powerlifting is a personal journey to test one's personal limits. Well, I was right!

Warm Up
Light Stretching
Squats - 135lbs/6 reps, 225lbs/6 reps, 315lbs/3 reps, 405lbs/1 rep.

Power Sets
Squats - 8 sets/1 rep/495lbs full gear.

This is when it got good. On the 7th set the weight buried me. I dumped to bar off my back, into the rack. "BANG, CRASH, CLANG!!!" Then I Popped out from under the bar launching myself thankfully onto my gym mat on the floor in front of the rack. Of course I got it all on video. The wife had a good chuckle at my misfortune. After a short break I tried to continue with the Pump Sets but I was too wasted after the missed lift.
What bothers me the most is I was in my competition squat suit which I usually really like and I was only squatting 495lbs/225kgs.

Snowdaddy

No comments: