A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Awesome Bench Day

Since I don't have much time between now and the Western Canadian Powerlifting Championships in November I've decided to jump right into my gear. Today was bench day and I was eager to start fine tuning my bench shirt. Before I went in for surgery I had almost figured out my bench shirt. I wanted to find out how far I need to torque the sleeves to get the best results and do the sleeves on my shirt turn when I'm sweating? Today I found my answers and made some awesome presses in the process. Here's what happened.

Raw Bench - 135lbs/12 reps, 225lbs/6 reps, 225lbs/6 reps, 245lbs/6 reps, 275lbs/1 rep.

*put on my shirt* (note: the Titan logo is almost on the inside of my arm)

Shirt Bench - 275lbs/6 reps (no touch), 315lbs/6 reps (no touch), 365lbs/3 reps (very easy, just touched), 405lbs/1 rep.

*super set*

Body Weight Dips - 5, 5, 6 reps.
Cable Extensions - 3 sets, 10 reps, stack (200lbs).
Standing Dumbbell Curls - 3 sets, 12 reps, 45lbs.

I managed to gather up three spotters and explained to them in detail, "don't touch the bar unless I say or it comes crashing down on my face. It went up quite smooth. In competition I might be good for another 10-20lbs.
Is far as my questions go. I need to torque in my shirt so the Titan label is on the inside of my arm. I know this seems excessive but I'm concerned that a tighter shirt might restrict my set up. I've worn this shirt a bit (and washed it a bit) so I might buy a new one that I only use in competition. Yes, my sleeves do rotate and I loose torque. A couple of times I had to readjust my sleeves.
All in all a great work out.

Snowdaddy

1 comment:

Ryan Stinn said...

The shoe guy you are talking about is Joe, almost everyone here has shoes from him, he has awesome service.

I dont like the idea of wearing a different shirt in competitions then the one you wear in training. UNLESS you cut alot of weight for a contest and your shirt will fit too loose. Otherwise, use the shirt you are comfortable in, a new shirt will feel much different. This is basically what Brown did at nationals 06 when he took the bar to the face.