A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bench Training

You'd think that after my traumatic bench experience I would be wary of the bench. O'contraire, I embrace the bench. Here's what happened.

Bench Press - 135lbs/8 reps, 195lbs/6 reps/6 sets.
Dips - 70lbs (assistance)/6 reps, 30lbs/6 reps, all me/6 reps, all me again/4 reps.
Super Set
Cable Extensions - 170lbs/8 reps/3 sets
Scull Crushers - 60lbs/6 reps, 80lbs/6 reps, 90lbs/6 reps.

This work out was not only fun and energetic but a great learning experience. Today I did a couple of new things.
  1. I narrowed my bench grip. With my pointer fingers on the rings I find it easier to keep my elbows in. I know this is a lighter weight and I shouldn't judge what works by this weight so I went up to 275lbs for a single and it seemed to work. The path the bar travels is in a much straighter line. Down to my upper abs then straight up over my eyes. It felt very smooth and easy. Next week I'll bring the video camera and film it to see if I'm right or full of it.
  2. For dips I used my wrist wraps. WOW!!! Usually I have problems with control when dipping. The wraps made everything more solid now I can concentrate on the movement to get a stronger bench. I bench in competition with wrist wraps any way.
  3. I haven't done scull crushers in quite some time. The new movement I'm sure will help strengthen my triceps and increase my bench.

Like I said today was an awesome work out and I'm even more motivated to get stronger.

Snowdaddy

No comments: