A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Speed Squats / Deadlifts

I wasn't sure how today's work out was going to go. A few days ago I mentioned I hurt my knee and last night I did a 10 minute jog. After the warm up I got under an empty bar and tried to stretch out my legs. No luck. I had to sit on the floor for 15 minutes and give everything a really good stretch. After that I got under the bar again, this time 135lbs, and everything was all right. I guess I'm just getting old and need to lube the joints a bit before getting under the bar. It only makes sence. Here is how today's work out went.

Bike - 10 min warm up
Full Squats - 135lbs/8 reps, 225lbs/6 reps
Bellow Parallel Box Squats - 8 sets, 2 reps, 245lbs
Speed Deadlifts On Platform - 6 sets, 2 reps, 365lbs
Good Monings - 4 sets, 6 reps, 245-295lbs
Declined Sit Ups - 3 sets, 12 reps
Seated Trunk Twist - 3 sets, 30 twists

Once again I'm really loveing these box squats. The deadlifts I took a different approach with. I would squat down deep to grab the bar, use all thighs to raise the bar to my knees, then drive the hips forward to raise the bar up my thighs. It seemed a bit wierd but more powerfull. I'll have to check with Brock when I get back home if I'm doing things right. Once again as usual another great work out.

Snowdaddy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a T-shirt that read, "If it feels good DO IT".
So Rob, if you feel more powerful and you are locking out the weight without doing a shake & bake or a hitch keep on keeping on.
Take care of those knees too. You will need to lube them up good if you are experiencing soreness. I swear by single leg ext. with only a 30 degree range of motion (the lockout portion). This seems to get the knee healthy and keeps your stronger/healthier leg from compensating during the set.