A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Friday, June 16, 2006

Speed Bench

This morning was rough. I didn't feel like getting out of bed let alone going to the gym. Once I was there it felt much better. The heat here is unbearable. Everyday it's well over 40 degC and the nights only go down to around 32 degC. To survive you have to spend most of your time indoors where there is air conditioning. Spending too much time indoors is like being in prison. I think I'll take tomorrow off. I think I need a break.
Here is how training went today.

Bike - 5min warm up
Speed Bench - 4 sets, 3 reps, 195lbs. 2 sets, 3 reps, 205lbs. 2 sets 3 reps 225lbs.
Dips - 6 reps, 6 reps, 5 +1 reps
T Bar Rows - 90lbs/8 reps, 145lbs/8 reps, 2 sets 6 reps 190lbs.
Military Press - 135lbs/6 reps, 175lbs/5 reps, 155lbs/6 reps, 135lbs/6 reps.
Lat Pulldowns - 3 sets 8 reps 180lbs (stack)

I'm still crafting a new work out system. I'm feeling that my base is becomeing more solid, which is good, but I'm not advancing quick enough. An idea I have is to drop some support exercises and add more sets to my core exercises. Here is an example.

Max Effort Squat / Deadlift

High Box Squats - 6 sets, 5 reps, approx 80%.
Dead Lifts - 6 sets, singles, 90%+
Declined Sit Ups - 3 sets

Max Effort Bench

Rack Bench Press (close to chest) - 6 sets, 5 reps, approx 90%
Close Grip Bench Press - 6 sets, 5 reps, approx 60-70%
Ab Work (?)

On my speed days is when I'll do most of my support work. Keep the max effort days simple and concentrate on max effort lifts while on speed days work the assistance exercises. I'll come up with a new program soon.

Snowdaddy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The contest came off OK. Look forward to seeing you back in the country and back on the wood.
It was hot and muggy here yesterday but we managed and I'm sure it was nothing like what you are experiencing every day.
Any training this weekend?