A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Speed Squats / Deadlifts

Yesterday as I promised I did a work out. After my warm up I thought that I might not be able to do squats because my knees were sore. After two warm up sets the pain in my knees subsided and I decided to continue. Here is what happened.

Bike - 10min warm up

Speed Squats - 10 sets, 2 reps, 225lbs
Platform Deadlifts - 6 sets, 2 reps, 315-365lbs
Good Mornings - 4 sets, 6 reps, 205-255lbs

I was concerned in my past work outs because I figured because of the heat I was loosing strength. Yesterday's work out showed me that it wasn't true. The squats were easy and strong. For the platform deadlifts I stood on two 25lb plates, which raised me up about 1 1/2 inches. I am also focusing on my deadlift technique. In the past I have found that I am leaning too far over the bar in the set up phase of the movement. The good mornings were awesome. At 205lbs they felt quite easy. I added another 50lbs and they still felt great. I could actually feel the muscles though out my posterior chain flex and stretch. Wonderful.
I have been reading about box squats and one of the comments that has been common to all the articles is, "as you begin to rise push your traps into the bar". There are lots of things to remember for every powerlifting movement and I'm usually lucky to remember half of them. Yesterday, during squats, I tried to push my traps into the bar and I was surprised how comfortable it made the movement. I only did this with 225lbs and I'm curious to feel it with 315lbs+.

"Lift Big" or don't bother.

Snowdaddy

No comments: