A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Speed Squat / Deadlift

Yesterday I did speed squats and deadlifts. I'm still having problems with my foot position for squats. My first 3 sets seemed awkward because my stance was way too wide. I used to squat with a wide stance but now I'm finding if I bring my feet in aprox. 6 inches and point my toes more forward it seems to feel more comfortable at the bottom portion of the squat movement. I also find it's easier to "spread the floor". I read about this term from Westside Barbell. It pertains to spreading one's knees at the bottom of the squat in order to make depth. Another informative Westside Barbell article. Here is how the work out went.

Bike - 10min warm up
Squat - 10 sets 2 reps 245lbs (last 2 sets 315lbs)
Deadlifts - 6 sets 1 rep 335lbs
Seated Good Mornings - 5 sets 10 reps 110lbs
Declined Bench Sit Ups - 4 sets 12 reps
Trunk Twists - 3 sets 25 twists 40lbs bar

Cardio - Treadmill Speed Walk 20min

Both the Squats and Deadlifts were done with an explosive upwards motion as speed day is for. I've never done seated good mornings before so the movement seemed awkward. I could really feel how this exercises brings together the hamstrings from the squat and the back from the deadlift. This routine really taxes the whole posterior chain. I also had problems with the declined bench sit ups. On my last set I had a pain shoot though my lower back, signaling me to call it quits for the day. I don't think it's a big problem. I just did too much. I don't like to wear a belt but I guess as my weights go up I should start wearing one. The cardio at the end of the work out was well needed. I'm sure most powerlifters don't like cardio but we could all use a good dose once and a while. My next work out should be Monday. See you then.

Snowdaddy.

No comments: