A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Monday, March 06, 2006

Home Sweet Home

I'm finally back home. After enduring a 36 hour transit from start to finish a couple of days off to recuperate were in order. Today was my first day back in the gym since returning home so I decided to start my new routine over again and start at day one. Max Effort Squat / Deadlift.

Bike - 10min
Good Mornings - Worked up to 3 sets 3 reps 225lbs (about 6 sets total)
Sumo Deadlifts - 5 sets 8 reps 225lbs (explosive pull)
Declined Bench Sit Ups - 4 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell Side Bends - 3 sets 12 reps / side 50-60lbs
Trunk Twists - 2 sets 24 twists 40lbs bar
Elypse Cardio - 15min

All in all a good work out. It's nice to be home. The power rack felt like an old friend and all the weights felt light. There is something to be said for changing one's training. Weather it's the exercises, the number of sets or reps, or something as simple as changing your work out environment. It all helps to make improvements. I can't count the number of different gyms I've worked out in. Each of them gave me something different to make my training better. One of my best experiences was working out at, then, Gold's Gym in London Ont. There was a novice bodybuilder there by the name of Scott Milne. If you know bodybuilding in Canada that name will most certainly ring a bell. To say the guy was huge is an understatement. At about 6'4" he weighed about 300lbs under 15% body fat. He made Gregg Kovacs look small. I was lucky enough to speak regularly with Scott about training and to spot him on his heavy sets. To this day I still get motivation from having seen him lift and the advice he gave me. On the other side of the coin I had a few months in my youth when I worked out with nothing but an iron bar and a dozen or so cinder blocks. It made for some very interesting work outs as you can imagine. So take my advise and take every experience you have in the gym, good or bad, and make it work for your current training.

Snowdaddy

No comments: