A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Friday, February 17, 2006

Back At Er

Well, it's been a while since my last entry. Shortly after my last entry I got severely sun burnt while attending a beach function. I had to go to the hospital for treatment. They told me I had 2nd degree burns to aprox. 5% of my body. Mostly my shoulders. Yes, I know what you're thinking. "How could some one be so stupid". I totally agree. For the rest of my life I have pledged to be more conscious of the sun and what it can do. I had to spend two days in my room and go to the hospital twice a day so they could make sure it wasn't getting infected.
Lucky for me everything has turned out OK and now I'm finally back in the gym. I have managed to go twice since the burn but it wasn't anything serious. Today was squat day. Before I record my work out I'd like to tell you about some articles I've been reading.
While being away from home this give me some time to fine tune my training. West Side Barbell has written some interesting articles on percent training. Here is the link to their article site http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
I have been chasing my tail trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with regards to % training. Points to be made.
- A periodization training program works great for prepping for a contest but is self defeating when trying to increase strength.
- The three main lifts should only be trained every second week. The in between weeks should be used to train with other exercises to build support / core strength.
- Working sets should be only two reps. Work on speed rather than the weight being moved. IE; I can easily do 12 sets of 2 reps with 225 lbs on bench. What I need to focus on is how fast I press the bar up. EXPLODE with the weight.
- Work in the 65-82.5 % range. Only go above this weight during max effort days.

I'm still trying to make clarity of the whole thing but it seems to be coming together slowly.
Here is today's work out

Squats - 8 sets 2 reps 225 lbs (working on explosive speed)
Leg Extensions - 2 sets 10 reps what ever felt good for weight
Seated Leg Curls - 2 sets 10 reps same as above
various Ab Exercises - My poor tummy.

Notice I haven't incorporated all the training Ideas yet. Give me some time and I'm sure it will all come together.

Tomorrow will be bench. I'll try the 12 sets of 2 reps working on speed. There's nothing like hogging the bench for 12 sets.

Snowdaddy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Snowdaddy way to go on the training. Squats must of hurt with a sunburn I bet. Meanwhile we are freezing our asses off here in the 'Peg. -47C with the windchill the other day.
We had some most welcome help from your fellow 17th Wingers at the MPA contest on Feb 5/06. They saved the day with spotting and loading.
Looking at your workouts why not try some more complex movements in there? Such as Good Mornings after Squats, Power Cleans to warm up for the Deads and some Bentover Rows and Military Presses for the upper back and shoulders?
Keep up the good work and stay int he shade.

McLifter :)