A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Bench Workout

Yesterday's workout was great! I started off with like this. Bench 135lbs x 20 reps, 225lbs x 8 reps. Working sets, 255lbs 6 sets x 2 reps. My last three sets were done at 275lbs. As I stated before I'm very instinctive. If I'm feeling strong I'll go up in weight. If I'm tired I'll add more sets just to hammer my muscles.
Next comes close grip bench. I read about Ed Coan doing close grip right after bench. I like the feeling it gives. Try it some time, you'll know what I mean. Close grip bench was 3 sets x 6 reps at 205lbs.
Dips follow. 3 sets x 6 reps with 40lbs of assistance.
Flat bench flys. 3 sets at 70lbs (each dumbbell), 80lbs, and 90lbs. These are all done to failure. With 70lbs I fail around 8 reps while with the 90s I failed at 5 reps.
I had about 15 minutes left in my workout so I finished up with machine flys. I Love this movement. It gives me an incredible pump. I know it's not really a powerlifting sort-of exercise but you know what they say. "Variety is the spice of life". I do these with the stack (250lbs) for 8-10 reps and 3 sets.
At this point I'm totally wasted and I'm ready for my protein drink and a shower.

Snowdaddy

No comments: